Wedgewoods, Whistler sub-division Lot 43. Think forward of the cosy fireplace with the river view. This will be a joy to build with Ed Lim of United Building Systems.
Tuesday, 16 February 2021
Thursday, 17 December 2020
We were pleased to have the opportunity to enter an architectural competition in Sydney in 2020. Our entry for the harbourside competition brought together the elemental golden ratio with the local aboriginal historic love for abalone.
The pavilion is a gathering place where 'We See, We Smile, We Social' - branded Anuna which can be translated, 'We'.
The abalone shell is a natural occurrence of the Golden Ratio.
The crisp shell form resolves into a 'Rotunda' at the centre of the geometry. The Rotunda represents a 'picnic in the park' platform for public performance.
During events, roof mounted cannons of light become event searchlights on the western clouds and during the day the oval skylights form brightly lit booths for family play.
Anuna is a waterside place of reflection that can be charged with life, energy and activity for all ages.
Wednesday, 9 September 2020
Whether in Vancouver's Shaughnessy, or Sydney's North Shore, it will be a pleasure to create for you something truly special, as we transform your building lot into a romantic Castle.
+1 604 655 8122 firstname.lastname@example.org
|Elevated courtyard over garage |
Thursday, 24 January 2019
UDI Presentation: Building Code Changes for 2019
|'Climbable' guards now permitted when fall hazard is under 4.2m - example shown: X-TEND mesh by Ronstan|
Around 700 changes were made to the latest BC Building Code, and amazingly, this Wednesday morning a team from UDI were able to distill issues to a breakfast meeting presentation.
Don Pedde, Barry Thorson, Phil White and Chris Radziminski gave an overview for Part 9 and Part 3 Buildings along with City of Vancouver plumbing updates.
Part 3 Updates (Complex Buildings)
- Mixed use buildings to six storeys can now be built in entirely combustible material (rather than requiring concrete for commercial at ground level) with 2 hour fire separation (only) between commercial/residential uses (3.2.2 Article)
- Six storey building maximum size increases
- Interconnection between Floors: Levels 1 and 2 or P1 and 1 – relaxation of requirements
- Exiting – Discharge doors from two required exits may need to be further apart and closer to the street so that a single parked truck won't be able inadvertantly block both exits
- Exiting - Cross over (to another exit) floors are now required in 4 to 6 Storey Buildings and underground parking of more than 3 levels
- Guards – climbable guards are now permitted as long as the fall hazard is under 4.2M
- Guards and stair handrails can now be the same height at 1070mm (3’6”)
- Elevators for Limited Use can be smaller as the need to accommodate a stretcher has been removed and a ‘Garaventa’ type stair lift is now permitted to provide CSA-B355 access
Part 9 and 'All Code' Updates
- Stairs – Private dwelling stairs tread width (defined as run) has grown 45mm to 255mm minimum
- Guards – climbable guards now permitted as long as the fall hazard is under 4.2M (expect to see a lot of horizontal residential railings soon)
- No longer possible to use a newel post as a transition on the inside corner of a landing with winder treads - handrail must be continuous
- Accessibility (for disability) – check out the soon to be available ‘BC Building Access Handbook'
- Energy efficiency standards – increased with new metrics and tables – see EnergyStepCode.ca/news
- Sound transmission – ‘Apparent Sound Transmission Class’ (ASTC) replaces STC to now include the sum of direct and flanking assembly transmission
- Seismic design – lateral bracing requirements slightly down in Vancouver and Kelowna, but up in Victoria
Water Use (City of Vancouver - COV)
- Enhanced Public Safety focusing on water quality and piping as it relates rainwater harvesting systems, decorative fountains, cooling towers, municipal water supply - building water treatment and geoexchange systems
- The City will require quarterly reporting on water quality testing for new and existing systems to meet temperature of less than 20 deg. C; turbidity of less than 10 NTU and E.coli of less than 100CFU / 100 ml
- Harvested water must supply toilets, urinals and trap primers with optional use for irrigation and make up for cooling towers
- Use purple piping
- Rainwater - above grade and no vehicular traffic and/ or use clear water waste. (Clearwater is solid-free wastewater which includes water produced while waiting for hot water from the faucet to heat up, refrigerator compressor drip, and more)
Cooling Towers (COV)Legionnaires disease concerns leading to requirement for operating permit and testing of cooling towers
Decorative fountains (COV)Operating permit will be required from July 1, 2020
Friday, 4 January 2019
|1911 Sydney Land Sub-Division Sales Poster|
In 1858, Sir Robert Torrens, the South Australian Premier, started using a new simple system of title by registration: The Torrens Title System. The idea was in part based on the registration of merchant ships and did away with the need for proving a 'chain of title' (tracing title through a series of documents).
"The State guarantees title and is generally supported by a compensation scheme for those who lose their title due to private fraud or error in the State's operation."
"Strata Title is a form of property ownership, devised predominately for multi-level apartment buildings. The 'strata' part of the term refers to apartments being on different levels, or 'strata'."
The building at the centre of the game-change was itself, a significant and highly controversial work by modernist Architect, Harry Seidler. Harry’s dear wife, Penelope showed her abiding support thirty years later, creating a sweet tapestry of the hotly debated building. The Architect always saw it as a reflection of the art movement of the time, akin to a Mondrian painting.
Detail of Tapestry
Canada is one of the many countries that have now adopted Strata Title ownership. It is fascinating to be reminded just how alike Australians and Canadians can be. You could say it is part of being in the Commonwealth of Nations, but it is interesting to note that neither of these systems of ownership title have been adopted by Great Britain.
Monday, 31 December 2018
|Upper Level Plan of Sunday School and Babe-in-arms Room|
Christians agree that a church building is not God's 'temple on earth' as in the times before Christ. It is understood that God is worshiped whenever and wherever the human heart turns to Him.
However, a church building is a uniquely important space where life memories are made. A church building is a venue where...
1. The Bible is read and explained and applied.
2. A large extended 'family' celebrate God's demonstrated love through Jesus.
3. An outsider is welcomed, celebrated and invited to belong.
4. The love between a man and a woman is deeply honoured with ceremony and encouragement.
5. A new life is protected and delighted in.
6. Life plans are discovered and commitments made.
7. Closure (after a life is completed) begins.
At its best, a new church building is more than a 'tool for mission' like an auditorium or converted gymnasium, though it is likely to include those 'gathering' functions.
Personal history can be made in the sports arena, at the university graduation hall, even at a bus stop, but it is uniformly made at church. This insists that a church building be a work of Architecture expressing positive values, hope and strong faith.
By being an excellent building it can help create a culture of excellence in its community. Design can be seen as an act of love: "somebody cared enough to draw that..."
By being an excellent building it can help create a culture of excellence in its community. Design can be seen as an act of love: "somebody cared enough to draw that...".
A work of Architecture reflects its place in time, so a new church building will use the materials, methods and technology available at the time of construction, giving it a contemporary temperament.
"As both an informal meeting place with many functions & a venue of contemplation, formality and excellence, the tone to aim for might be described as 'quiet contemporary elegance".
Thursday, 27 December 2018
"There's Gold in Them Thar Hills..."Mark Twain may have borrowed this saying from the Georgia assayer, Matthew Stephenson back in the 1840s. In any event it has become a catch cry for any great commercial opportunity. In this case it actually is a gold mine.
My team are searching for the right large mining company to scale up mining and placer operations in Northern BC offering 1100 Hectares Hard Rock Mineral Claim and 131 hectares Placer Claim. The site is in the middle of an established high yield gold mining district. It has had a full generation of small scale operations and it is the first time it has been available for purchase. Geological Reports show an excellent opportunity for Lithium and Gold. There are also reports of Silver and Copper. Contact me for a Non-Disclosure Agreement.
Thursday, 14 June 2018
Secondly, make sure each new family home has ample space, privacy, security and independence. The interior layout should suit family life, and the home look out to a beautiful garden setting.
For community connection, think of great places where people mingle naturally - that are sunny, relaxed and have an openness that feels safe, like Rome's Spanish Steps...
|By Arnaud 25 - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0|
In Maple Ridge, British Columbia, after the location's environmental setback was established to match the circumstances, a four-plex / townhouse site was created. To fit in with the neighborhood, the building form was to appear as three large homes, arranged to establish a wonderful family style community setting.
Now a rezoning application at the City, the meeting point designed in the middle of the three buildings is the 'Maple Steps', a place where landscape, sunlight and passive surveillance (for safety) can allow great conversations to begin.
Friday, 6 October 2017
- Site Analysis
- Massing Studies
- By-Law Interpretation
The aim is to build agreement between Buyers, Sellers, the City and ultimately the local community to come up with the highest and best use of the land and find a solution where everyone wins.
Wednesday, 21 June 2017
Introducing the Forrest Home. An entertainer's estate residence being built just 12 minutes from Whistler Village. It is part of an exclusive collection of large high quality homes in the Wedge Woods Properties Area.
Situated on 1.16 acres of land, the over 4,000 square foot home has around 600 square feet of elevated decks for enjoying the seclusion and beauty of the forest.
The planning of the home provides for a legal suite along with defined areas for family living, guests and perhaps even your driver.
It is on the market and will be a rare addition to the quality lifestyle options provided for in Whistler. The for-rest home.
Contemporary architecture, priced at $3,600,000.
Call to arrange to for a site visit on +1 604 655 6122. International enquiries are welcome. Site address: 9005 Skiers Rest Lane, Whistler, British Columbia, Canada.
Video New Whistler Ski Chalet
Friday, 17 February 2017
...was commented recently. So I began pondering why...
I had a website for ten years that presented my favorite projects. What I realized though, is that it dated very fast. A third party designed it back then and the formula for changing it was a mystery. I found myself at arm's length to get it to reflect where things were at.
Now in a constantly changing and dynamic world of bringing together development projects, it seemed asarch.com should evolve more into a conversation. So the blog was born and asarch.com was pointed to it.
Projects are now are rich and varied, ranging from helping masterplan new communities for transit oriented development (TOD) to joyfully resolving the finest detail of copper construction.
A static website wouldn't reflect issues in an up to date way but there is more. While a website puts makeup on my face to help me look my best, the values and reasons behind what we do are a work in progress, generally more interesting, useful and hopefully less self focussed.
The motive is this: I am hoping you will chose Andrew Scott Architecture and Planning (ASAP) for your next building project, including guidance in choosing the right land. That is why the Real Estate license make sense. Having the local Architect's Certificate of Practice means I can begin the design conversation too.
Friday, 13 January 2017
|Above my workspace an old life drawing sits beside the AIBC Certificate of Practice|
This is simultaneously connected to the time spent in the inventive yet disciplined 3D world of master building.
Now the artistic DNA that started the journey require the tempering fires of commercial life and times:
- Does the value of the land support the cost of the building?
- Will my client now be successful in his marketplace?
- Will the next sale price cover the cost of land + building?
- Will it sell fast enough?
It is also important to understand our client has been in a heady commercial battlefield of land purchase, sometimes well before he has knocked on the Architect's door.
The journey of land purchase and sale is thrilling, as is the long road of realizing the dream you can one day walk into.
Monday, 25 July 2016
The World Trade Center site is becoming a triumph of resilience and faith.
The rest of the city appears to be in a building boom.
As always, the ideas are strong, the people toughened,
the history real.
Now, back to basics. How can the old skyscrapers be so tall and narrow?
Because NY is built on the strongest of geological bedrock.
A life needs bedrock too, something that can hold you up. When you find the bedrock of truth - you build there.
That is just smart.
“Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock." Matthew 7, 24-5
New York is an idea. It is the 'Big Time', the 'Wit and Wisdom and Commerce of the City' where we behold the joy of people who love the game.
|Dining Table by Studio Job at MAD, the Museum of Art and Design|
|The Entrerprise Space Shuttle|
Here life and humanity is celebrated. We are encouraged to prototype the grand idea with commitment and conviction.
In New York we are inspired to do our best work yet.